Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brazilian Imperial Army (1822-1889)

Colors and Standards

Last modified: 2003-11-22 by joe mcmillan
Keywords: army | lozenge | military | coat of arms | saint (virgin mary) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Introduction

Military colors and standards under the empire were similar to the national flag but with the yellow lozenge not reaching all the way to the edges of the flag. Clóvis Ribeiro, in Braz§es e bandeiras do Brasil (1933), describes a drawing of the standard of the 6th Fusiliers from 1846, which is 6 feet by 6 feet 4 inches with a ribbon below the coat of arms inscribed "Fusileiros" and the Roman numeral VI below that, and with the imperial monogram P2 (Pedro II) in each corner. However, Ribeiro says that no authentic flags of this pattern with the monogram had been found.
Joseph McMillan, 15 April 2003


Imperial Standard for Cavalry (1850)

Imperial Cavalry Standard, Brazilian 
Army (1850)by Joseph McMillan

Ribeiro illustrates an 1850 standard for the 1st Cavalry of similar design--with monograms--but somewhat longer ratio, the ribbon inscribed "Regimento" and the Arabic number "1" below it. For the proportions, I have followed the dimensions of cavalry standards during the imperial period as given in the text, 4 x 6 palmos. This ratio was later changed to 2.5 x 4.5 palmos (1862-63) and 3.5 x 5.5 palmos (1863-89).
Joseph McMillan, 15 April 2003


Infantry and Artillery Standards

1865 Pattern (Obverse)

Imperial Standard, Brazilian 
Army (1865) - Obverseby Joseph McMillan

1865 Pattern (Reverse)

Imperial Standard, Brazilian 
Army (1865) - Reverseby Joseph McMillan

From about 1865 onward, the inscription of the name below the coat of arms was replaced by inscribed cravats attached to the finial. A national standard of this design, belonging to the 1st Horse Artillery Regiment (now the 3rd Field Artillery Group, designated the Regimento Mallet) is illustrated at the regimental website. The obverse is as described by Ribeiro for the 1865 pattern (no monograms, no unit designation). On the reverse of the flag is a depiction of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, patroness of the Brazilian Army, within an ornate gold frame. In 1889, with the proclamation of the Republic, this pattern went out use. The flag was deposited in the National Historical Museum. On 22 August 1996, it was returned to the Regimento Mallet. On 10 June 1998, an exact replica was presented to the unit during an Artillery Day parade. Ministerial order no. 216 of 9 June 1999 authorized the Regimento Mallet to carry this replica of the imperial battle standard along with the national flag and its own "historical standard" granted in the 1930s.

Note the difference in shape between the shield used on this flag and that from the in the earlier period.
Joseph McMillan, 15 April 2003