Last modified: 2003-03-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: moresnet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Mark Sensen
In 1816, when delimiting their new frontiers, both the Netherlands and Prussia claimed the calamine-mine of Altenberg (French, Vieille Montagne) situated on the territory of the municipality of Moresnet. As no agreement could be reached, this part of Moresnet was 'temporarily neutralized' and put under a common administration.
In 1830 when Belgium became independent, it replaced the Netherlands as claimant and administrator.
In 1915, during the German occupation of Belgium, Prussia became sole administrator, while three years later, after German defeat, it was Belgium which solely governed the territory.
Jarig Bakker, 20 December 2000
The unofficial flag of the Territory was horizontally divided black-white-blue. It was adopted ca. 1883.
Mark Sensen, 20 December 2000